Tuesday 15 June 2010




Hall teas last sunday in aid of the local Cattle Compensation Society so us crofty wives baked fancies and some made quiches and bannocks and all that good stuff.

I've been involved with 'hall teas', on and off, for maybe 25 years; it is a good way of fundraising for the hall say or the Christmas treat or the cattle comp. and once for Tamil Nadu.

In the early days the requirement was 6 dozen fancies but I suspect that, these days, many bake far more. I'm not the worlds most enthusiastic baker, bread excepted, but I enjoy making butterfly cakes, It's what I made as a child in my Grannies kitchen, creating a huge mess and getting grumbled at. I still make a hug mess. but butterfly cakes are utterly delicious.

We did well considering it is the middle of 'Hamefaring' and there was much competition from other halls and events around Shetland. We made over £900.

No comments:

Post a Comment