Tuesday 8 June 2010

Back in Shetland


...safe and sound after our trip through England, 1600 mile if you count the two ferry journeys, and it was just brilliant.
The first day we drove from Aberdeen down through Scotland to Carlyle, for lunch, then on down to Derbyshire.
Being a true Londoner I seem to know very little of my native land and, to be honest, at heart I kinda thought that maybe it really was - well, you know... 'grim up north' but it isn't! is absolutely stunning!
just look at this picture, it was taken a couple of miles outside Matlock where we stayed for a few days with old friends.
I'm used to Scotland being grand and glorious- which it is- but seeing England from top to bottom like this was a revelation. I guess it has a lot to do with the really long winter we have had this year here in the islands, but all that lush green and all those wonderful trees just fed my soul.
On the other hand Bisi gave me an absolute stinker of a cold, doubtless a thoroughly northern strain, from which I am only just recovering.


No comments:

Post a Comment